Prof. Bhalchandra M. Bhanage
Professor of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry,
Dean (Infrastructure and Campus Development)
Department of Chemistry,
Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT),
Maharashtra, Mumbai, INDIA
email : email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Date of Birth: 18th February 1966.
Education and Academic Background:
Doctor of Philosophy (1996)
University of Pune at National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India.
Thesis Title: Studies in Hydroformylation of Olefins using Transition Metal Complex Catalysts
Research Supervisor: Prof. R. V. Chaudhari
Master of Science (1988)
Department of Chemistry, University of Pune, Pune, Maharashtra, India.
Bachelor of Science (1986)
Abasaheb Garware College, University of Pune, Pune, Maharashtra, India.
Experience: More than 20 years ; Industrial Projects, Research and Teaching.
1988-1990 : Research Chemist at National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India.
1991-1995 : Research Fellow (UGC) at National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India.
1996-1997 : Project Associate (CSIR) at National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India.
1998-2000 : JSPS Fellow at Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan.
2000-2003 : CREST Fellow (JST) at Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan.
Since 2004 : Professor at Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT), Mumbai, India formerly known as UDCT
Number of Research Papers + Reviews + Book Chapters : 348
Patents: 33 Citations : 7600 H-Index: 45 i-10 Index : 194
Number of PhD students Guided: 35 Currently guiding : 20
Area of Research: Catalysis for activation of small molecules like carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and hydrogen for various reactions. He has developed novel strategies for various cross-coupling reactions like Heck, Suzuki, Sonogashira and their carbonylative forms. The work is focused on developing strategies for catalyst product separation and catalyst recyclability. Developed several homogeneous transition metal based catalysts and solid base catalysts for carbon dioxide fixation. Nanoparticle synthesis and its catalytic application as well as Enzymatic catalysis.
- Best paper of the year award for 1995 by NCL Research Foundation: "Enhancement of interfacial catalysis in a biphasic system using catalyst binding ligands, NATURE, 373, 501‑503 (1995).
- Patent Award for U.S. Pat. 5498801(1996); U.S. Pat. 5650546 (1997) U.S. Pat. 622200 (2002) by NCL Research Foundation.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship by Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS) via global selection.
- Elected Fellow of Maharashtra Academy of Sciences (FMASc)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry, UK (FRSC)
- RSC-PTG best paper award by Royal Society of Chemistry 2011
- Bronze Medal for Contributions in Research by Chemical Research Society of India, 2012
- ISCMA Outstanding Professor Award by Indian Specialty Chemical Manufacturers Association for excellence in academic field for the year 2012 and in 2015
- Dr. K.H. Gharda Award (of Rs 50,000) for Contributions in Research by UICT, 2008.
- Prof. M.M. Sharma Science and Technology Award (Rs 1 lakh and Citation) for contributions in research by Marathi Vidyan Parishad, 2014 (news)
- Biography covered in Marquis Who’s Who in the World, 75th Edition, 2008, also in 2012
- Advisory Board Member of following journals
2. The Open Catalysis Journal (Bentham Publisher) since 2007
3. The Open Acoustics Journal (Bentham Publisher) since 2008
4. Science Magazine Patrika ( पत्रिका) Language : Marathi (ISSN No. 0971-6912)
- Recognized as a Ph.D. guide for the Chemistry, Biotechnology sciences and Chemical Engineering
- Association of Chemistry Teachers
- Society for Materials Chemistry, India
- Catalysis Society of India.
- Marathi Vidynan Parishad, Mumbai
- Chemical Research Society of India
- UDCT Alumini Association
- The Biotech Research Society, India
- Member: Catalysis Society of Japan (No 98251) 1998-99.
- Member: The Society of Chemical Engineers, Japan
- Member: American Chemical Society ACS, USA
- Member, American Nano Society (2011-2013)
- Member on Board of studies in chemistry Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad, India.
- Scientific adviser of Indian Patent office.
- Member : Bureau of Indian Standards Precious Metals Sectional Committee,
- Member : Bureau of Indian Standards : Chemical Department (CHD)
- Member M.Sc. Syllabus Committees of University of Mumbai, Pune and Central University of Rajasthan
- Examiner and Resource Person to Indian Chemistry Olympiad during 2004-2012.
B.Chem. Eng. and B.Tech: Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Industrial Inorganic Chemistry
M.Tech (Green Tech.): Catalysis Science and Technology, Catalysis- I
M.Sc. (Chemistry): Organometallic Chemistry, Materials Chemistry, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry
Reviewer for several reputed international journals
Industrial Consultants to several reputed chemical industries
Technical Consultant: ChemCleanzio, India Pvt. Ltd
Board of Advisers: Nanocoat Chemtech Pvt. Ltd